Re: How can I avoid unicode and use Latin1? (Was: Wrong characters with

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: How can I avoid unicode and use Latin1? (Was: Wrong characters with jEdit)
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:24:01 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
Unicode only provides a way of specifying character codes for a wide
variety of symbols in the interior of a text file.  But without font files
containing the order of 64K symbols, the current fragmented font-file
situation will continue to limit what can easily be output to a screen
or a printer.  It is difficult for me to share your optimism.

That's not a problem, at least, not on Linux. Pango does a wonderful job of inspecting the coverage of each font. It substitutes whichever font has the glyphs that are required to print the text. See for example

 http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/input/out-www/typography-demo.png