Re: no pdf file generated (windows version 2.7.8)

From: stk
Subject: Re: no pdf file generated (windows version 2.7.8)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 03:35:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Katrien de Vos wrote:

> I renamed gswin32.exe to gs.exe and tried again. It still doesn't work.
> Then I changed my batchfile:
>
> gs -q -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4 -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200
> -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#%1.pdf -c .setpdfwrite -f %1.ps
>
> This gave the same negative result. Changing to:
>
> gs.exe -q -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4 -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH
> -r1200 -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#%1.pdf -c .setpdfwrite -f %1.psgs
> -q -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4 -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200
> -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#%1.pdf -c .setpdfwrite -f %1.ps
>
> This produced a pdf-file.

I think that's garbled -- maybe there was something wrong with the e-mail
transmission.  If that was supposed to have read

> This gave the same negative result. Changing to:
>
> gs.exe -q -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4 -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH
> -r1200 -sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#%1.pdf -c .setpdfwrite -f %1.psgs
>
> This produced a pdf-file.

then I have one last guess, although it's rather off-the-wall.  Windows XP
is still DOS, MS's claims notwithstanding.  Given a command

     gs -<various options and arguments>

DOS will search, in the following order, for
(a) the file gs.com
(b) the file gs.exe
(c) the file gs.bat
If by any mad chance there is a file named gs.com in the directory which
contains gs.exe, then DOS will never find gs.exe -- if this is the case,
then rename gs.com gsORIG.com and try LilyPond again.  I realize that
there is no reason in the world that there would be a file named gs.com in
your directory, but I thought I should mention it just in case. The other
thing is that if your PATH environment variable contains some directory in
which there is a file named gs.com, it's conceivable (?) that DOS would,
again, prefer that gs.com over any gs.exe file.

The command
     gs.exe -<options & arguments>
would of course force DOS to use gs.exe even if gs.com existed.

-- Tom