Re: New slur/tie behaviour

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: New slur/tie behaviour
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:06:38 +0200

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
IIRC, I've sent an algorithm to the list a few years ago whether
ties should go up or down, depending on the vertical structure of
a chord.  Maybe you can dig it out, and perhaps it helps in
providing some constraints.

IIRC, it was the algorithm that was present before I rewrote the
thing.  I thought it was rather too simplistic.

Mhmm, I don't think so: The direction of slurs was always
unsatisfactory :-)

Cf.

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2004-01/msg00148.html

Well, AFAIK engraving conventions are:

  * outer ties point outward
  * double directions for seconds
  * direction otherwise determined by vertical position.