Lilypond for FreeBSD

From: Gordon Gilbert
Subject: Lilypond for FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 06:29:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, [UTF-8] Zbyn?k Burget wrote:

O.K.

I've compiled lilypond 2.6.3 on FreeBSD 5-STABLE
I want to make port, but I'm busy momentarily.
If you want, I can send patches and instructions to install lilypond. There is no problem with compilation/installation - problem is only with me, that I not produced port :-(

Zbynek

I've downloaded the lilypond package in order to upgrade my version
(currently 2.5.29).  I'm running FreeBSD 5.3 on a P-5 (fairly good
horsepower -- I forget exactly what) with oodles and oodles of ram.

Can someone explain step-by-step (I'm no geek -- just a very satisfied
user of Lilypond) how to install this new version?

I've cc'd Zbynk, he's working on a freebsd porst update, afaik.

Hi Zbynek -- and list!

I am glad to see you working on a port for Lilypond. I first installed it several years ago from ports, and again with the updated version (2.2.2) when that was available. There have been many changes and improvements since then, and I managed (with coaching) to get 2.5.29 installed here.

But I'm no computer expert. Whenever I start messing with programs, installations, and the like, my children tell me, "Dad, don't try this without adequate child supervision!" So, I think what I should do is wait for you to make the port and post it. If you're planning to do that within the next few weeks, that will be fine for me. Let me know when it's available, and I'll be the first to try it. Thanks.

Blessings,

Fr. Gordon Gilbert+

        |                 Angels' Roost Farm                  |
        |       Rev. Fr. Gordon Gilbert & Susan Gilbert       |
        |                   705-549-5056                      |
        |                address@hidden                  |
        |                address@hidden                 |