Re: Which bison version to use to build on Linux?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Which bison version to use to build on Linux?
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 00:04:10 +0200

On 6 Sep 2005, at 21:26, Jeremy Henty wrote:

I'm building lilypond-2.7.8 on Linux and it dies compiling the parser
(the output of make is attached).  Googling for the error got me a
suggestion to downgrade bison to 1.75 which I'm loath to do.  I see
there's now a bison 2.0 - is it worth upgrading to that?  If not, how
else can I get round this?

Details:
Linux 2.4.31
gcc 3.2.1
flex 2.5.31
bison 1.875

I suggest you try the latest Bison beta, and then report back.

The lines
  out/parser.cc: In function `int yyparse(void*)':
out/parser.cc:5583: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `yylerrsp' with no type though suggests that the C parser is compiled as C++. This unofficial support has been dropped, for several reasons. One is that the C- stacks do not invoke C++ copy-constructors when reallocating. It only works with C++ POD's. For C++, there is no finished Bison support, but an experimental one. I wrote my own C++ parser, but it currently requires some Bison tweaks.

  Hans Aberg