Resume writing to a staff later

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Resume writing to a staff later
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:26:25 +0200

Hi all,

I'm in the process of switching more and more of my typesetting jobs from
Mup to Lilypond, but I have some trouble getting used to the way Lilypond
wants me to write every full staff and then combine them in a score.

I would rather write a few measures for every staff and then the next few
measures, etc. so that the different voices are close together in the
source file.

Is it possible to start a context with notes and later write other notes
to that context? I didn't get it right so far. E.g.

\context Voice="soprano" { c d e f | g a d b}
\context Voice="alto"   { a b c d | a b c d }
and then later
\context Voice="soprano" { d e f g } % etc.

TIA for any help.

best regards,
Wilbert Berendsen

--