Re: Resume writing to a staff later

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Resume writing to a staff later
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:16:55 +0200

I guess it's mostly a matter of getting used to it. However, you
can do something like

sopranoBlockI = {c d e f | g a d b}
altoBlockI = { a b c d | a b c d }
\ = { d e f g }

\score{
  <<
  \context Voice = soprano {\sopranoBlockI sopranoBlockII ... }
  \context Voice = alto {\altoBlockI altoBlockII ... }

You might also want to take a look at the preprocessor called "sly"
that has been announced on the mailing list some year ago.

   /Mats

Wilbert Berendsen wrote:
Hi all,

I'm in the process of switching more and more of my typesetting jobs from Mup to Lilypond, but I have some trouble getting used to the way Lilypond wants me to write every full staff and then combine them in a score.

I would rather write a few measures for every staff and then the next few measures, etc. so that the different voices are close together in the source file.

Is it possible to start a context with notes and later write other notes to that context? I didn't get it right so far. E.g.

\context Voice="soprano" { c d e f | g a d b}
\context Voice="alto" { a b c d | a b c d }
and then later
\context Voice="soprano" { d e f g } % etc.

TIA for any help.

best regards,
Wilbert Berendsen

        Mats Bengtsson