Re: compiling times?

From: Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
Subject: Re: compiling times?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 03:13:37 -0700

Mats- It was not until I actually could get an error log that I could start to fix the file. However you have brought up a couple of things. Last -first by changing the \score to new Staff from context I am now able to get midi and pdf files to look at what it going on. I am getting something odd in the pdf re; the piano parts don't have staff lines and there is an extra clef sign above the piano brace.
So there is something I am missing about entering a piano setup--

So to the first comment about defining an instrument twice- could you explain that? I copied the 'code' directly from the jazz combo section of the manual, if that is giving us redundancy or misleading then how does one fix that?

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

flute = \relative c' {
   \Key
   c1 c c
}

flute = [
\global
\set Staff.instrument = #"Flute"
\clef treble
\context Staff <<
\flute

}

Here, you provide two different definitions of \flute.
Even though LilyPond actually does what you want, I wouldn't
consider it a particularly good idea.

This is the part of your message I didn't understand.

Here is the Piano section as I typed it in

%piano parts
rh = \relative c' {
   \Key
   c1 c c
}
lh = \relative c {
   \Key
   c1 c c
}
PianoRH = {
   \clef treble
   \global
   \set Staff.midiInstrument = "acoustic grand"
}
PianoLH = {
   \clef bass
   \global
   \set Staff.midiInstrument = "acoustic grand"
}
piano = {
   \context PianoStaff <<
   \set PianoStaff.instrument = #"Piano"
   \context Staff = upper \PianoRH
   \context Staff = lower \PianoLH

}

but as I wrote above this produces no staff lines from the brace and an extra treble clef above the piano part with no label.
So either something is extra here or mistyped but not an 'error'.

Thanks
Jay

--
Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton