Re: D7 Chord Symbols (and others ...)

From: Helgi Örn Helgason
Subject: Re: D7 Chord Symbols (and others ...)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:21:44 +0200

On 13 sep 2005, at 18.50, Gordon Gilbert wrote:

Hi Helgi!

To make something like a D7 chord symbol, simply type d(note length if necessary:7 . The colon separates the note value that produces the chord from the additions made to it. It IS fairly well documented in the manual. So Em becomes e:m, and an E minor seventh becomes e:m7. a diminished chord would be e:dim. If you want a certain bass note, do this: d:a (D/A bass). Hope that gives you enough to go on.

If the length of the note needs to be indicated (because it changes with this note, put that right after the initial letter, thus: d1:7

Thank you Gordon!

I did find the 7 chord solution in an example file on the net, but not in the otherwise fabulous documentation. Thanks for the hints, will come handy now when I'm starting over with Lilypond after a couple of years rest.

Cheers,
Helgi Örn