Re: \char #

From: stk
Subject: Re: \char #
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 02:27:15 -0400 (EDT)

Mehmet Okonsar wrote:

> I wasn't able to get this working..
> \version "2.7.8"
> \markup \huge { \override #'(font-name . "Toccata") \char #65 }
> (under wXP)

I think \char is busted, at least under Windows-native LP.

This top-level command

     \markup { \char #65 }

is OK with LilyPond, but gs.exe fails.

The Windows filename is SToccata.TTF; if you say

     \markup { \override #'(font-name . "SToccata")  XX }

where  XX  is *not* two X's but rather a single (double-byte) utf-8
character (entered however you do it on your system) where the
utf-8 character chosen is one of the *accented* European characters,
then you will get one of the SToccata music symbols in the final
PDF output, but it will be excruciatingly tiny.  Since \huge
is not supposed to work when a font-name is explicitly selected,
I tried

     \markup { \override #'(font-name . "SToccata")  \magnify #20 XX }

but the \magnify had no effect, so I'm doing something wrong.

And you're using 2.7.8, but I'm still with Windows-native 2.6.0,
so that could give rise to some differences.

-- Tom