calculating durations

From: matthew . munz
Subject: calculating durations
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:48:36 -0400

Hi all,

  I am a new user of LilyPond and I am currently writing a program that
transforms scores expressed in a piano-roll-like format into LilyPond
scores, for the purpose of typesetting/printing.

  In the source format, music is expressed (like Midi, I suppose) as
strings of notes with absolute durations, without a notion of time
signatures, barlines, ties, etc.  Is there a tried-and-true algorithm
for converting such "notes" into their proper equivalents in LilyPond,
given a time signature?

  I'm especially thinking of how to resolve a note like "c3" (where 3
means 3 quarter note beats) into Lilypond's "c2."  Any suggestions?  I
suppose this problem relates to "quantization" but in this case, the
input data is mostly "clean" and unambiguous.  I don't think the
solution should be too compilcated.

  Thanks in advance, and thanks too for making such useful software that
works out-of-the-box on my mac :)  If I've submitted to the wrong list,
I apologize.

  - Matt Munz