Re: calculating durations

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: calculating durations
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:40:58 +0200

On Friday 16 September 2005 20.21, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Erik Sandberg wrote:
> >>  I'm especially thinking of how to resolve a note like "c3" (where 3
> >>means 3 quarter note beats) into Lilypond's "c2."  Any suggestions?  I
> >>suppose this problem relates to "quantization" but in this case, the
> >>input data is mostly "clean" and unambiguous.  I don't think the
> >>solution should be too compilcated.
> >
> > This is done by midi2ly, so both the above solutions would fix this.
>
> not that I know of . I guess you'd be better off with Completion
> noteheads. (see the manual).

I ran lily (2.4) on this score:

\score{
{ c4. d8 e2 e2. f4 }
\midi{}
}

Then I ran midi2ly on the resulting midi file. The resulting .ly contains:

  c4. d8 e2 |
  % 2
  e2. f4 |

.. which, as far as I understand, shows that midi2ly does what Matthew needs.
(bug or feature? :) )

Still, it's a good idea to look at completion heads, to properly handle notes
that cross bar boundaries.

--
Erik