Re: Ties in second endings (and a small rant)

From: Peter Mogensen
Subject: Re: Ties in second endings (and a small rant)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:26:43 +0200

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> I hope you know how to fix it, namely to insert a \grace{s4} in the
> beginning of the second ending of all other voices. Example:
[snip]
> The other alternative that is often used is to fiddle with the
> durations, as in the following example, but then you either get
> the note head slightly misplaced compared to the other voices or
> you have to apply the same trick to all voices, so I prefer the
> grace note solution.
[snip]

Yes... I would too... but I have experienced that it causes Lilypond to
give up breaking lines :(
So I use the last method. Something like:

{ s64 a2 a2*1/2 s8 s16 s32 s64 }

I know there's (at least potential) solutions to everything, if you are
only caring about the final output.
But if you care about maintenance of the code, the more hacks you do,
the more difficult it is to return to the code 4 month later at adjust
it to a new orchestra. (do a few transposed, cut a repetition, insert an
extra voice and so on.)

Lilypond is great for _typesetting_, but all these small hacks makes it
difficult to work with when you do continious re-arranging.

Peter