half-dot

From: David Bobroff
Subject: half-dot
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:09:12 +0000

Just posting this as general interest.

Next week we (Iceland Symphony) will be playing Kalevi Aho's flute
concerto.  I noticed an odd notation.  In a 5/4 measure there was a
whole note immediately followed by a small x (looks more like a
multiplication symbol) and no other notes in the measure.  I wondered
what it was.  I thought perhaps it was a 'half-dot'.  Then I saw a 5/8
measure with a half-note immediately followed by the same little x.
Obviously it's a 'half-dot.'  I've never seen nor heard of such a thing.
I think this music was prepared with either Sibelius or Finale but I'm
not sure which (one clue; when slurs/ties pass through time signatures
they 'white out' as they cross them).  I used to use Finale but I never
encountered this sign before.

Just thought I'd toss this out there.  If it is, or is becoming, a
standard notation perhaps LilyPond ought to be able to do it, too.

-David