Re: How to pause a staff with some horizontal whitespage?

From: Peter Mogensen
Subject: Re: How to pause a staff with some horizontal whitespage?
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:37:48 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Peter Mogensen wrote:
>
>> Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>>
>>> Read the NEWS in the documentation for version 2.6.
>>
>> Unless I'm mistaken \stopStaff \startStaff doesn't stop output of notes.
>> Only the staff-lines.
>>
>> To use this, it would require to insert skip-notes in all staffs/voices.
>> I would rather measure the horizontal space in centimeters than in
>> note-values.
>
> This is unavoidable; All horizontal positions have 2 colunms associated
>  with them, a musical (where the note is) and a non-musical one (for
> clefs, barlines, etc.). Without skips, we'd have to have 2 non-musical
> columns for a single time position, and that would require major
> hacking.  It should be feasible to specify the amount of space as a
> dimension, though. Do you want to me to look into that as a sponsored
> feature?

Nah... my budget is limited, and before I can decide where it's best to
invest I think I need to know more about the internal design of
Lilypond. (I know... I could/should read the source).

One thing that I keep wondering is how much the internals of Lilypond
knows about the flow (in time) of the music?
I would guess that many of the features which I struggle with have
something to do with Lilypond not knowing anything about in which order
the music it typesets are actually played.

If you could specify something like:
* Create a new set of staffs, take the music and typeset measures up to
  #72.
* \staffbreak{2cm}
* Create new staffs, and typeset the rest.

Where "staffbreak" is akin to linebreaks/pagebreaks.

Peter