Re: Vertical spacing tweaks.

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Vertical spacing tweaks.
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:46:59 -0500

Hi Han-Wen,

I'm almost certainly down for EUR 130 but first I have two questions;
they're in-line:

On 9/20/05, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> Fairchild wrote:
> > Not from me, but there have been many postings from individuals struggling
> > with page layout vertical springs.  Suggest you ask the user list, with a
> > short description of the feature.  (Or maybe "anti-feature" :-) )
>
> I could implement the following:
>

> - add a property
>
>      line-break-system-details
>
> to NonMusicalPaperColumn
>

> - This is an alist of properties, that are applied to the
> system following a line-break at that point.
>
> It could support the following properties:
>
>      Y-extent -- set the vertical size of the system (used as vertical
> "rods")
>
>      Y-refpoint-extent -- set the vertical size of the refpoints (used
> as vertical "springs")
>
> PRICE: 130 euro
>

> In addition, I could also make an
>
>      alignment-stretch-factor -- scale parameters used for vertical
> alignments.
>
> This would make it possible to set the distance between staves in
> individual staves easily.
>
> PRICE: 130 euro
>

> With these feature in place, it would be possible to control vertical
> spacing after line breaks.  Of course, it's up to the user to force
> certain breakpoints.

First question: how do these two features differ? If feature #1 lets
you specify spacing details immediately after (or before?) a \break or
\pageBreak, then doesn't that give 100% control over vertical spacing
to the user (thereby making feature #2 unnecessary)? Or perhaps #2
adds some additional control above and beyond #1?

> If there is sufficient interest, I can also include a -ddump-breaks ,
> which writes a
>
>    line-breaks.ly
>
> file, containing
>

>    breakLayout = { \skip 1*4
>      \break
>      \skip 1*3/4
>      \break
>      \pageBreak
>        .. etc ..
>    }
>
> so that you can use page and line break layout, by doing
>
>    \score {
>       <<  ..my Music..
>           \breakLayout
>       >>
>    }
>

> PRICE: 130 euro

Second question: would this feature #3 be any different than making
the contents of breakLayout into a Voice added to any of the existing
Staves in the score? For example:

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff <<
        \myRealMusic
        \breakLayout

    \new Staff \moreMusic
    \new Staff \yetMoreMusic

}

Might this solution work without the need for development? (This is
stolen from Jan's input for Satie's "Petite ouverture à danser".)

--
Trevor Bača