Re: \book output

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: \book output
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 21:05:54 +0200

Peter Mogensen wrote:
Hi,

When using \book I can see from the docs that it is normally used to
output a set of pieces. However... I would like to use it to output
first the score and then notation for the individual instruments to hand
out. (is this a wrong application of \book ?)

I've always found the documentation and use of \book confusing.
All(?) the examples in the documentation that use \book do actually
produce exactly the same output also without the \book.

As far as I understand, the only major reason to use \book is to
produce several output PDF files from one and the same input .ly file
(except possibly when used inside lilypond-book, see the mailing list
archives for more information).

However... I've found the following problems:
None of these have anything with \book to do, as far as I understand.

* breakbefore does not break unless you have a "piece" in your score header.
The simple workaround is to set piece = " ", if I remember correctly.

* You can not change "instrument" in the header on a \score by \score basis

Please read the section "10.1.13 Creating titles" in the manual for
version 2.7, there's some new information there that's relevant also
for 2.6 as far as I know.

   /Mats