Re: lilypond

From: Daniel Johnson
Subject: Re: lilypond
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:16:35 -0700

Bohdan Krowicky wrote:

These days I'm a composer and I use Sibelius 4 as a composition tool, and the thought of learning a new language is rather daunting. Can Lilypond accept a Midi file and convert it into its own format, and then to its beautiful printed output? Do composers use Lilypond as their primary work system? It seems to me that one needs to have a piece already written, on paper perhaps, and then input it to your program. Or am I off track here?

You can use midi2ly to convert a (quantized) midi file to Lilypond, but you're guaranteed to have to make many many tweaks on the Lilypond end to get it to display acceptably. If you are converting existing Sibelius files to Lilypond, though, this will probably save you quite a bit of time.

For Finale users, you can use etf2ly to convert Finale's ETF export format to lilypond. There are similar converters for ABC (abc2ly) and MUP (mup2ly). I don't know of any Sibelius converters. These will convert more of the music information than midi2ly, but you will certainly need to do lots of work on the Lilypond file in order to get it to look OK.

Additionally, there have been a number of issues reported with running these programs under Windows (they require installation and extra configuration of a Python environment). They work fairly well on Linux, though.

I keep a Windows box with an installation of an old version of Finale to use when I am working on an especially complex piece. Then I export as ETF, copy to my Linux box and run etf2ly. That saves me some time, but I still spend 50% of the total time reworking the Lilypond file.

--Daniel