Re: Favorite editor

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: Favorite editor
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:38:52 -0700 (PDT)

I have two favorite ways to go.

My normal method is with a non-X Emacs session (I suppose Vim, Nano would work just as well for this as emacs, but I got used to emacs first, so it stuck). ctrl-X,ctrl-S,ctrl-Z saves and hides the window, then at the command line, I issue the following:

$ lilypond myfile.ly && gv myfile.ps && fg

The pair of ampersands makes it so that if there are errors and lilypond doesn't succeed in producing your .ps or .pdf, you can read the error messages before typing

$ fg

to get back into your editor. I normally use GV to open my .ps file because it's faster (on my old, slow computer) than using any of the nice .pdf viewers. I'm sure you have a favorite of your own. This is my typical way to go. It is about the fastest way that I've found.

Another way is with Kate, KDE's Advanced Text Editor, a wonderful editor if you prefer to spend your time in KDE. It does certain things that contribute very nicely to a smooth working environment for writing lilypond files. First, there is an embedded terminal that, if you bind a key combination (I normally do something like ctrl-T, or at least something that doesn't conflict with other useful key-bindings), allows you to do something quite similar to my above example. At the prompt, enter:

$ lilypond myfile.ly && gv myfile.ps && exit

I like going this way, and using the (La)TeX context highlighting makes the file a little easier to read. I personally am not as fond of the highlighting scheme that Kate likes to give .ly files, but that has more to do with the fact that I get a little dizzy when there are that many colors on the screen than anything else.

The other way to go, especially since you're still using version 2.4, is with Jedit, with the lilytool plugin. I hear good things about it, but have no experience with it. I have liked jedit when I've used it, but I have been too lazy so far to figure out how to make it work with 2.6/2.7.

Josiah