problems with lilypond

From: liang seng
Subject: problems with lilypond
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 03:50:33 +0000

Hi, I have another problem. When inserting tempo markings such as Allegro, Andante, Largo etc, do I use \markup before a note or I use the \header \meter="Allegro"? What if I need to insert a tempo marking in the middle of a piece? Then surely the latter method will not work. 2. I find that when using both methods, the word is too near the staff below it. How do I lenghten the distance between them? 3. This is for a line of music. But suppose I would like to combine several staves into a score (eg string quartet), how do I make sure that the tempo markings only appear at the uppermost staff and not every staff since each individual staff has its own tempo marking.
Thank you very much.
4. How do I make a brace (like the one in the piano staff) in a string quartet score? The brace only needs to span two staves. However all the staves are connected by a vertical bracket.
Yours sincerely
Seng Liang.