Re: Adding parenthesis around slurs or hairpins or whatever else

From: Trent Johnston
Subject: Re: Adding parenthesis around slurs or hairpins or whatever else
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 16:12:56 +1000

Was only meaning old fashioned from a editoral mark point of view... and
that Lilypond can render similar now.

Parenthesis were easier around slurs and ties for the engraver than to try
and keep dashes or dots evenly spaced throughout the slur or tie.

As I said previously most "editoral" (meaning not by the composer) are an
extra layer, an editors point of view about how the work should be played.
Simply to copy editoral marks from a existing edition because they are there
isn't sound scholarship and not best representing the composer as sometimes
the added marks are historically incorrect.

Baerenreiter has gone back and changed some of it's early 1960's and before
editions as these "editoral" marks are covered in the scores. Since research
into performance practice etc.. these "marks" have been judged doubtful and
don't fit within the style of the period.

If your a composer you can do whatever you like on your score... but as an
editor caution is needed so as to not break copyright since it is a derived
work and/or the marks are not historically appropriate.

Regards,

Trent