Re: Slur or beam in tablature

From: Hans
Subject: Re: Slur or beam in tablature
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:12:45 +0200

Thank you! So that's how it works! It finally makes sense :-) .....And not, because if the TabStaff uses explicit voices, then why the Staff not?

BTW, I think I will not use melody={} and bass={} because the staff and tab differ in some ways, like e.g. beams. Copy and paste will make the file larger, but the result will be closer to what I want.

BTW2, is it possible to use \markup to put an H or P (hammer on, pull off) indication above the slur, or shouldn't I even bother experimenting like that?

Thank you again for clearing up these structure problems I had. You made my day.

Hans

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

The only problem with your solution is that the <<{...} \\ {...} >> feature
is hard-coded to handle only normal music. You have to create the context
explicitly yourself, see "6.6.2 Explicitly instantiating voices" for more
information. Maybe the following is closer to what you want to do:

\version "2.6.0"
melody={ e''8 d''4\2 g'8\3 ( gis'\3 ) e''4.\1}
bass={ e4\6 e'\4 e\6 e'\4 }

\score{
<<
\new Staff <<
     \melody
     \\
     \bass

\new TabStaff <<
     \new TabVoice { \voiceOne \melody }
     \new TabVoice { \voiceTwo \bass }

}

  /Mats

Hans wrote:

Hello Mats,

Funnily enough I have uptil now not succeeded in creating TabVoices. The way my structure looks now is this (I took this from the manual "2.16 Single staff polyphony":

<<
\chords {...}
\new Staff <<
      { melody }
      \\
      { bass line }

\new TabStaff
      { tablature }

This works but the tablature is monophone. I have tried the following, but it doesn't work :

<<
\chords {...}
\new Staff <<
      { melody }
      \\
      { bass line }

\new TabStaff
      { melody tablature }
      \\
      { bass line tablature }

I'm still struggling with the overal structure of ly-files. Can't get my finger on what is the smartest way to structure things. Any suggestions?

Hans

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Musically, a slur only makes sense within a voice, so that's why LilyPond only can handle slurs within the same Voice context. The same should hold for tablature, where you can have several TabVoice contexts in a TabStaff.

  /Mats

Hans wrote:

Hello list,

Is it possible, in tablature, to make a slur or beam between two notes, one of which is a single note, the other in a chord? In the score this is done by a slur, but I use two voices there, so the g# is not in a chord there:

score voice 1: e'' d'' 4 g'8(gis') e'' 4.
score voice 2: e 4 e' e e'
tab: e\6 d''\2 e'\4 g'\3 < gis'\3 e\6 > e''\1 e'4\4

Attached a picture of the result I try to achieve.

Cheers,

Hans