Re: Slur or beam in tablature

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Slur or beam in tablature
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:57:52 -0400

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 08:42 am, Hans wrote:
> Hello Mats,
>
> Funnily enough I have uptil now not succeeded in creating TabVoices.
The
> way my structure looks now is this (I took this from the manual "2.16
> Single staff polyphony":
>
> <<
> \chords {...}
> \new Staff <<
>        { melody }
>        \\
>        { bass line }
>        >>
> \new TabStaff
>        { tablature }
>  >>

> This works but the tablature is monophone. I have tried the following,
> but it doesn't work :
>
> <<
> \chords {...}
> \new Staff <<
>        { melody }
>        \\
>        { bass line }
>        >>
> \new TabStaff
>        { melody tablature }
>        \\
>        { bass line tablature }
>        >>
>  >>

> I'm still struggling with the overal structure of ly-files. Can't get
my
> finger on what is the smartest way to structure things. Any
suggestions?

Tablature is always in one voice.  When published as tab, songs in
four or more parts had all the notes in one part.  Even if you create
another set of stems for another voice, which was not done in
historical tablature, there is no way of connecting the stems to all
of the individual finger placements, so you can't tell which voice, if
either, a third finger placement would belong to.

_

2
3 <-- upper voice 8th or lower voice quarter?
4

There is no solution to this.  It is a limitation of tab.  When
multiple voices are printed on a single tab staff, they should
be converted to a single voice.  That is the way it has always been
done, and that is the way it ought to continue to be done by
publishers.

The best thing to do is to print the tab staff without stems, relying
on the music staff for all the elements of voicing, time and
articulation.  Furthermore, it looks better that way because it's less
cluttered.  daveA

--
The only technical exercises for all guitarists worth a lifetime
of practice: "Dynamic Guitar Technique".  Nothing else is close.