Re: Using alien to create a .deb

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Using alien to create a .deb
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:14:38 +1000

Pedro Kröger wrote:
> Cameron Horsburgh <address@hidden> writes:

Thanks for your reply.

>>1) Does anyone with any knowledge of the internals of Lilypond deb and
>>RPM packages have any idea where alien might introduce any subtle problems?
>

> yes, it may. debian has a strict policy regarding where things should be
> and behave (which may be overkill sometimes). converting from alien
> means that things may not be in the place where the system is expecting
> it to be.
>

>>2) Can anyone suggest a score somewhere that I could use to 'stress
>>test' my installation?
>

> I suppose if it's working with one score it will work with others. I
> suggest you test if lilypond-book, the conversion scripts (like abc2ly),
> emacs-mode, vi-mode, documentation, etc are working.

I've run a few tests so far (I've since moved to 2.7.13).

abc2ly works, although I've got to do some work on the output to get
lily to compile the resulting .ly. I suppose that fact that it produces
output means it's installed properly.

Lilypond-book seems to work better than it did before, so that's a good
thing.

I still have access to emacs-mode. Would the relevant files have been
replaced?

I haven't tested the documentation because that's provided in a separate
package. I'm happy accessing the web version of it for now.

Another poster suggested I run 'lintian' over my newly created deb.
Apart from a few trivial errors (licensing details, maintainer addresses
and so on), a few things come up which somebody with a clue might be
able to help me with.

For starters, there are a lot of complaints about permissions being
wrong. For example:

W: lilypond: non-standard-dir-perm usr/ 0700 != 0755
W: lilypond: non-standard-dir-perm usr/share/ 0700 != 0755
W: lilypond: non-standard-dir-perm usr/share/doc/ 0700 != 0755

I'll assume for now that these can be ignored, although I'd appreciate
some explanation of what these mean. I've looked at a few of the files,
and they don't seem to have the permissions Lintian's worried about. (Is
there a mask applied?)

W: lilypond: script-not-executable /usr/share/lilypond/2.7.13/make/ly.make

Do I have to worry about this?

The dependencies don't seem to be recorded in the file, but lintian
picks them up anyway. For example:

E: lilypond: python-script-but-no-python-dep ./usr/bin/abc2ly
E: lilypond: python-script-but-no-python-dep ./usr/bin/convert-ly
E: lilypond: python-script-but-no-python-dep ./usr/bin/etf2ly

I've got no idea what this is:

E: lilypond: unstripped-binary-or-object
./usr/share/lilypond/2.7.13/python/midi.so

My completely untrained eye tells me that there is nothing here that
should stop it from working, but I wouldn't expect Debian to uploading
it any day either!

Does anyone with any idea about these things have anything to add?

Thanks for your time!

Cameron