simultaneous use of "long term" and "short term" crescendo/descrescendo

From: Bart Diels
Subject: simultaneous use of "long term" and "short term" crescendo/descrescendo
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:08:21 +0200

I would like to use "long term" and "short term" crescendos and decrescendos
simultaneously, but I cannot find out how to.

Consider the following example:

\version "2.6.3"

melody = \relative c' {
}

\score {
        \new Staff \melody
        \layout { }
     }

What I am trying to get, apart from those two crescendo-descrescendos, is a
long underlying crescendo form a to a. How can that be achieved?

Best,

Bart