Re: Lyrics, ties, extenders and hyphens

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lyrics, ties, extenders and hyphens
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:39:57 +0200

I don't have any book on music typesetting practice available
in front of me right now, but will try some advanced guesses
anyway.

Neil Killeen wrote:

Hi

1) what is the correct thing to do with a lyric and a tie ?
   Should one use an extender like with a melisma ?  Thus

   a~ a
   Fish __

  Lilypond seems tolerant if I don't add the extender

  a~ a
  Fish

I would only use extender lines for melismas, not for ties.

2) Also, I am finding extenders and hyphens get mixed up if I do extend ties.

   E.g.

   a1~ | a1  | es1~ | es1
   Moun __ -- tains

  What I see after type setting is something like

    /--------------\             /-----------\
    o              o           o            o
_ _ <- First hyphen overlaps with extender
   Moun______           tains_____

I think it's normal to only use hyphens in such a situation and no extender lines.

3) Finally, on a matter of style of lyrics and punctuation. Is it good style to
   see punctuation (e.g. a full stop or comma) before an extender ?
   E.g.

   a~ a
   Fish. __

   If not, what should one do ?   Leave out the punctuation or try and
   poke it in after the extender somehow ?

The punctuation before the extender seems reasonable.

  /Mats