Re: Fwd: Re: Text setting

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Text setting
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:31:35 +0100

Forwarded to bug-lilypond!

It seems that the right half of the rehearsal mark affects the
note spacing if you have a \mark in the middle of a bar.
From the documentation and by analogy with text scripts, you
would expect to be able to set no-spacing-rods, but it doesn't seem
to have any effect. The only solution I could find was to set X-extent,
but then the text will be left aligned, no matter if the self-alignment-X
property is set to center of right alignment.

Example:

\version "2.6.0"
\score{
\relative c'{
% Setting no-spacing-rods has no effect!?
\override Score.RehearsalMark #'no-spacing-rods = ##t

% Uncommenting the following line fixes the problem that
% the right half of the mark occupies space, but gives
% left alignment.
%\override Score.RehearsalMark #'X-extent = #'(0 . 0)

c d e f | g f \mark "ABCDEFGH" e d | c1 }
\layout{raggedright = ##t}
}

On the other hand, in the middle of a bar, you could often just as well
use a text script attached to a note or to a spacing note.

Wait a second, I just found another workaround. Since rehearsal marks
don't occupy any extra space when used at a bar line, you could add an
invisible bar line in the middle of a bar and attach the rehearsal mark to it:

\version "2.6.0"
\score{
\relative c'{
c4 d e f | g f \mark "ABCDEFGH" \bar "" e d | c1 }
\layout{raggedright = ##t}
}

Maybe the conclusion after all is that \mark only is designed to be used
at bar lines?

   /Mats