Re: \book usage

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: \book usage
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:53:56 -0800

On 3-Nov-05, at 2:02 AM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Graham Percival wrote:
The purpose of using lilypond-book here is just to stick multiple scores together, with page numbering.

Could you please remind me and others on why you could not simply do it
all within a .ly file:
\version "2.6.0"
\paper{
% For version 2.6:
scoreTitleMarkup = \bookTitleMarkup
% For version 2.7:
printallheaders = ##t
}

\include "piece1.ly"
\include "piece2.ly"

Now I remember one problem, namely that you have to move all \header{...} blocks into the corresponding \score{...} block, otherwise all the pieces will
get the same title.

Interestingly, I didn't need to do that with 2.7.12 and printallheaders.

 But are there any other problems that you solve easier with
lilypond-book?

Yes.  The above produces:
collection.pdf   (includes piece1, with pages numbered 1 and 2)
collection-1.pdf (includes piece2, with pages numbered 1 and 2 as well)
(assuming piece1 and 2 are both 2 pages)

Now, I _could_ manually set piece2 to start on page 3, and I could probably find some command-line tool to stick foo.pdf and foo-1.pdf together as fooall.pdf (I know pstools can do this with ps files)... but I found it easier to use lilypond-book.

The automatic page numbering is a bigger issue than sticking pdfs together. Once I've found the tool (pdftools ?), I can just include those commands in a script and have it done automatically. But if I change the order of pieces in a collection, or add an extra page of text at the beginning or whatever, I'd have to change all the manual page numbers again.

Cheers,
- Graham