Re: padding between key signature, time signature, and first note of bar

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: padding between key signature, time signature, and first note of bar
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:49:09 +0100

On Monday 07 November 2005 07.05, Sterling Sympatico wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> How do I pad between time signature and first note of a bar?
> I notice that the first note following a time signature is almost
> touching the time sig.  I seem to recall this being a bug but was
> wondering if it was fixed now or how to force some padding?
>
> I amd including links to three pages of the unfinished piece.  Each page
> will show an example of my issue.

This is a known bug (called spacing-keysig-note.ly in our bug archive). The
problem occurs when the key signatures are differently wide in different
staves.

Our top guru Han-Wen has said the following about the bug:
======
The problem is that spacing constraints are averaged over the staves, so if 3
staves have a no key signature, and one has a very wide one, the staff with
the wide signature gets too little space.

A quick workaround is to increase the

spacing-alist

entry for

first-note

of the

Clef

grob in define-grobs.scm.
======

BTW, you may want to use R1 instead of r1 for whole-measure rests. (this makes
the rest centered in the bar)

--
Erik