New to the list, question about lilypond-book

From: Vaylor Trucks
Subject: New to the list, question about lilypond-book
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:40:22 -0500

First of all, let me say that I am super impressed with LilyPond. Up to this point I have been scrimping by with a patchwork of Finale Notepad, Cakewalk, and hand-drawn ugliness. Discovering LilyPond has been a real treat.

I hope this is an easy one. I searched the archives but didn't see any direct mention of this. I have LilyPond running on Windows XP. What I have discovered is that the lilypond-book.py script seems to have some problems with spaces in the path name. For example. If I have an HTML file stored in

c:\documents and settings\vtrucks\desktop

then I get no output and simply the usage statement is returned. This is even if the path is enclosed in quotes. If I move the .html I am converting to a place where there are no spaces in the filename, then I get a little further. For example if I run

lilypond-book.py --output=c:\output c:\test.html

Then it seems to process everything, however the HTML file is never created in the output directory and I get the following error:

C:\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin>lilypond-book.py --output=c:\output C:\test.ht
ml
lilypond-book.py (GNU LilyPond) 2.6.4
Reading C:\test.html...
Dissecting...
Writing snippets...
Processing...
Running lilypond...GNU LilyPond 2.6.4
warning: can't find file: `'
Processing `snippet-map.ly'
Parsing...
Processing `C:  est.html:6 (lily-533600811.ly)'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [1]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Calculating line breaks...
Writing lily-533600811-systems.tex...
Writing lily-533600811-systems.texi...
Layout output to `lily-533600811-1.eps'...
Layout output to `lily-533600811.eps'...
Converting to PNG...
error: failed files: "Files\\LilyPond\\usr\\bin"

lilypond-book.py: error: Process lilypond --formats=ps,png --backend eps -I C:\ Program Files\LilyPond\usr\bin snippet-map.ly lily-533600811 exited unsuccessful
ly.
Removing `test.html'

As a final test - I made a copy of the c:\program files\lilypond directory and saved it under the root of c:\. If I run lilypond-book.py from that copy (so that it is located in c:\lilypond\usr\bin rather than c:\program files\lilypond\usr\bin) then the script completes successfully and everything is created properly.

So, is there something I can change in the lilypond-book.py file to correct this?

Vaylor Trucks