Re: partcombine and stems

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: partcombine and stems
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:39:10 +0100

Eduardo Vieira wrote:

Hello group,
I have setup this song for soprano/ alto and used "partcombine". When two notes are in unison (or in intervals of seconds), what should I do to make one have a stem up and the other a stem down? Is it possible?

Then you shouldn't use partcombine, since the main purpose of these feature is
to write the parts as a single voice when they are in unison.
Just use something like
\new Staff << \voiceB \\ \voiceC >>
instead.

I know if I had started the score from the scratch I would have chords and voice layers instead, and that would avoid such problem. Another question: Referring to the shaped notes, how could I invert the notehead of the "gis2" in the 16th and 18th measure? Shouldn't the program automatically have made them follow the same pattern of the next "gis8" in the mentioned measures?

I seem to recall that there were some bugs related to shaped notes around version 2.6.0, I would recommend to upgrade to the latest stable version, 2.6.4, where I
think this has been fixed.

   /Mats