Non-latin scripts howto?

From: Gilles
Subject: Non-latin scripts howto?
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 00:00:39 +0100

Hello.

I'd like to input/display non-latin characters (specifically: Hebrew)
as presented in the test document:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/input/regression/out-www/lily-1601320616.ly

But I didn't get very far :-{

I use the emacs editor. I have installed (Debian) the recommended
"emacs-intl-fonts" package, as well as the "xfonts-intl-european".
I downloaded the above file but emacs doesn't display the non-latin
characters (white rectangular boxes instead). [Files are saved as
"utf-8".]

What is the way to input non-latin characters within emacs and have
it display them correctly?

As a workaround, I wrote the title of the piece using the "katoob"
bidirectional editor (which displays the characters correctly); but
after running lilypond, the postscript file displayed blank spaces
instead of Hebrew characters.

Thanks for your help,
Gilles