Re: Newbie, lyrics and vertical spacing.

From: Rodolfo Zitellini
Subject: Re: Newbie, lyrics and vertical spacing.
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:39:27 +0100

On 11/14/05, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you only want larger spacing between the score lines, you should
> instead look at section "Vertical Spacing" and read about
> betweensystemspacing. Note that you can also set the extent of each
> separate Staff by setting the property like
> \new Staff with {minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } {
> %The actual music
> }

I did this:
\new StaffGroup <<
   \new Staff with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \violinouno
   \new Staff with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \violinodue
   \new Staff with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \viola
   \new Staff with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \violoncello

But then I get:
gaudeamus.ly:45:14: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
   \new Staff
              with { minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 ) } \violinouno
gaudeamus.ly:34:0: error: errors found, ignoring music expression

I'm using lilypond 2.6.3

> > It seems that the minimumVerticalExtent redefined by
> >the lyrics gets summed to the global minimumVerticalExtent I set,
> >making a huge space (only for staves with lyrics, the other are ok).
> >

> Maybe there's a misunderstanding here since you say "global". You make the
> setting for every Staff context (i.e. for every stave) in the score, so
> in that sense
> it's "global", but it doesn't apply to any other kind of contexts.

I set the minimumVerticalExtent in the \layout block:
\layout {
  indent = 2.0\cm
  \context {
   \Staff minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-6 . 6 )

Thanks,
Rodolfo