Text markup in lyrics

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Text markup in lyrics
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:26:34 +0100

Hi,
I'm trying to typeset a piece for our choir (thus it's polyphony with lyrics
attached using \lyricsto). I'm using LilyPond 2.6.3.

Now, in one stanza I need to put a \breathe sign at a position, where the
other stanzas mustn't have a breathe (so I can't attach it to the staff
itself). This breathe should be inserted right in the lyrics of that stanza,
but I haven't been able to do this.

My problem is that it seems as if \markup (as described in the documentation:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Text-markup.html#Text-markup
 )
does not work for lyrics attached via \lyricsto, and \addlyrics doesn't
handle polyphony (see the comment in section7.3.1)!

So how can I insert the breathe mark to the lyrics?

The relevant parts of the .ly file are:

VerseIII = \lyricmode
{
  \set stanza = "3."
   "..." er -- schei -- nen.\markup{\breathe} O mach dich al -- len kund. __
}

\score {
        \context ChoirStaff <<
                \ScoreSettings
                \context Staff = women <<
                        \context Voice = sopranos { \voiceOne <<
\GlobalSettings \sopMusic >> }
                        \context Voice = altos { \voiceTwo << \GlobalSettings
\altoMusic >> }

                \context Lyrics = sopranosI \lyricsto sopranos \VerseI
                \context Lyrics = sopranosII \lyricsto sopranos \VerseII
                \context Lyrics = sopranosIII \lyricsto sopranos \VerseIII

                \context Staff = men <<

Thanks a lot!
Reinhold

- --