Re: Text markup in lyrics

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Text markup in lyrics
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:16:04 -0800

On Nov 17, 2005, at 03:26, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

I'm trying to typeset a piece for our choir (thus it's polyphony with lyrics
attached using \lyricsto). I'm using LilyPond 2.6.3.

Now, in one stanza I need to put a \breathe sign at a position, where the other stanzas mustn't have a breathe (so I can't attach it to the staff itself). This breathe should be inserted right in the lyrics of that stanza,
but I haven't been able to do this.

My problem is that it seems as if \markup (as described in the documentation: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/ Text-markup.html#Text-markup ) does not work for lyrics attached via \lyricsto, and \addlyrics doesn't
handle polyphony (see the comment in section7.3.1)!

So how can I insert the breathe mark to the lyrics?

Hi Reinhold
What I have is only a hack way to get what you want, but you could put it in the notes instead of in the lyrics, as follows:
\once \override BreathingSign #'Y-offset = #-12 \breathe

, modifying the number as necessary to match the height of your lyrics.
I haven't been able to find a way to adjust a breathing mark left and right, only up and down.

Hope this helps
David