Re: dynamics collision

From: andrea valle
Subject: Re: dynamics collision
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:06:26 +0100

Thanks for your kindness.

This is a very useful explanation.

Best

-a-

On 21 Nov 2005, at 10:25, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

The point of the DynamicLineSpanner is to keep all dynamics aligned,
both absolute dynamics like \f and \mp and (de)crescendi (both in the
form of hairpins and as text with a dashed line).

Changing the padding property of DynamicsLineSpanner will therefore
move all dynamic indications up or down.

The extra-offset property is fairly well described in "Common Tweaks".
One important difference between the padding and the extra-offset is that if you increase the padding, LilyPond will notice that the dynamic has changed and will adjust the layout of the rest of the score to take this change into account, for example by increasing the space between two staves or between two score lines, if necessary. If you set extra-offset, on the other hand, you can be sure that nothing else will change, so in general I always recommend to use the padding property if you want to things up or down and extra-offset only if you have to move something left or right and it doesn't help to set the alignment.

  /Mats

andrea valle wrote:

Ok Mats,
I read it before writing to the list, but it would have help if the manual provided an example.

I'd like to add a snippet on the topic to LSR, so I don't want to be imprecise.

If I have:

\version "2.6.4"
{
\once \override Score.DynamicLineSpanner #'padding = #1.5 a'4 \pp
\once \override Score.DynamicLineSpanner #'padding = #3.5 a'4 \mp
\once \override Score.DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'( 3.0 . 1.0 ) a'4 \mf \once \override Score.DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'( -9.0 . 9.0 ) a'4 \f
}

what is the difference in using DynamicLineSpanner vs. DynamicText?

Thanks

-a-