Re: Curly '

From: Sven Axelsson
Subject: Re: Curly '
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:03:16 +0100

On 24/11/05, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

> [problem: cut & pasting TeX's apostrophe yields quoteright code point]
>
> I'm not sure if it is something we can fix on the (La)TeX side of
> things. The TeX fonts don't contain an apostrophe (quotesingle) symbol
> at all. I'm not familiar with cut & paste for PDF, but if that works by
> cut & pasting the glyph names/code points for the  glyphs shown, then
> we're screwed. Then we would have to hack texinfo

Yes, they do contain a straight single quote. As I have posted before,
it is easy to get TeX to use straight single quotes instead of curlys,
but I don't know enough about the TeXinfo setup used for building the
documentation to provide a proper patch. Here's what I said earlier:

Quote Sven Axelsson:
 Anyhow, this is how to get TeX to use straight single quotes that
 work right when copied from a PDF.

 Redefine the ' character as:
 \catcode`'=\active\gdef'{\char"0D}

 The following small fragment shows the difference:

 \tt Test \#'(1 . 2)
 \par
 \catcode`'=\active\gdef'{\char"0D}
 \tt Test \#'(1 . 2)
 \end
End Quote

But I don't understand the TeXinfo build process well enough to tell
you where to put this to get it working. I'm using windows, so the
chance of me getting the documentation build working on my machine is
probably real slim. But maybe someone with a good grasp of how the
build works could have another look? I'm sure there is a style setup
file or a global include somewhere that could be patched.

--
Sven Axelsson