Re: D.C. al Coda?

From: Bernard Hurley
Subject: Re: D.C. al Coda?
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:07:03 +0000

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 00:48 -0600, S L Raymond wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu Breezy and for some reason, even after apt-get
> update, 2.2 is the latest version it will fetch.

You probably have apt set up so that it only knows about Debian stable
packages. The latest version in Debian stable is 2.2.6. To find out what
versions you computer knows about run:

        apt-cache showpkg lilypond | head

(The head is needed to stop everything scrolloing off the screen). When
I do this I get (slightly abbreviated):

2.6.3-9(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.uk.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages)_Packages)
(/var/lib/dpkg/status)
2.4.5-2(/var/lib/apt/lists/demudi.agnula.org_packages_demudi_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages)
2.2.6-3(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.uk.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages)

This tells me that my computer knows about versions 2.6.3, 2.4.5 and
2.2.6 (the number after the hyphen is a Debian package version). The
(/var/lib/dpkg/status) tells me which version I have installed on the
machine - in my case 2.2.6. If it were not installed I could run:

        apt-get lilypond=2.6.3-9

If you computer does not know about version 2.6.3 then try adding
something like:

deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

to /etc/apt/sources.list

then run "apt-get update" and try running apt-cache again. You may find
you need to upgrade other packages into the "testing" package stream.
Apt will tell you that when you try to upgrade lilypond.  It may also
tell you that it wants to delete certain packages - the usual solution
is to upgrade these as well - if you still need them. If you need to do
a lot of this it will take you a ling time using apt-cache and apt-get
and you would be better off using aptitude (of course you will need to
install that if you don'r have it!)

I hope this helps

Bernard