Re: Extracting header fields for use by e.g. LaTeX?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Extracting header fields for use by e.g. LaTeX?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:23:04 -0500

    BH> You could write a script to extract header information from
    BH> the .ly file.  However to be completely general it would have
    BH> to follow includes and follow the same rules as lily
    BH> e.g. recognising when one header definition overrides another.

That's why I didn't post my script; of course, it isn't completely
general, but it works for the way I do it.  And anyone with enough
files to maintain that they have Michael's problem will have some kind
of method that doesn't need a completely general script.

    BH> It would be better if lily did this for you.

I agree, but I also think that having the lilypond developers spend
time writing software that duplicates latex features (e.g. tables of
contents) is not a good use of resources.

    BH> There was a time when it did - it probably still does if you
    BH> use the tex backend. But lilypond-book now uses the eps
    BH> backend.

The 2.6.x lilypond-book does in fact take care of extracting title,
composer, and maybe a couple of other headers for you and putting them
in the lilypond-book output.  I think Michael's problem is that he
doesn't know how to get this output in the form he wants.  I haven't
looked at the problem much.  But it seems that it would be reasonable
to have some kind of hooks, so that, for instance, the title could be
output like:

        \section*{this is the title}

so that the latex table of contents could be used.  Or even:
        \section*{$hymn_number. this is the title}.

where $hymn_number could be replaced by the value of the header
"hymn_number".

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139