Re: MusicXML import: looking for co-sponsors

From: Darius Blasband
Subject: Re: MusicXML import: looking for co-sponsors
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:44:54 +0100

I would have used Java if I had to write this; but I expect Han-Wen to prefer python.

I expect this new converter to be better maintained because:

 - It will be developed by Han-Wen
- If it works, I can assure you it will be used extensively (by me, to start with) - Lilypond's input format has gotten stabler than it used to be, releasing part
   of the pressure on maintaining a filter up to date.

Darius.

Eduardo Vieira wrote:

Again, fine with me, and it seems to be reasonable.
I assume you or Han-Wen (or whoever) wouldn't use java, right?
I was never able to get Guido's xml2ly working. I'm a (basic-intermediate)
Windows user and not familiar with java. I downloaded XT preprocessor, but
didn't figure out how to make it run xml2ly. This was already enough for me
to wish for something better. I realize that the problem is also with me,
that I'm not very knowleadgeble of computer. But, my real questions about
xml2ly is:
If anybody has already tried xml2ly and got it to run properly, why are they
not satisfied with it? Is it because the "necessary basic" is more than just
the (claimed) features of the converter? It supposedly can do:
multi-parts score
multi-voices parts
multi-staves parts (piano parts)
clef and time changes
slurs and ties
chords
tuplets
graces
ornaments
barlines
dynamics

Or is it because it is complicated to run or full of bugs?
Are we looking for something else, because the existent converter is not
being updated? Can't anybody just take over and improve what already exists?
If others start a converter from the scratch, how can we be sure that it
will be maintained? It needs to work in such a way that the first developer
could easily turn over the project to someone else more available, like
Han-Wen, if he or she can't meet the new requested features.
I hope I'm making sense.

Eduardo