Re: Rehearsal mark on time signature

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Rehearsal mark on time signature
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:09:12 -0600

On 11/30/05, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> > 1. Aligning to *the very first* time signature in a context seems to
> > be a problem (eg, "Zart") even though aligning to *subsequent* time
> > signatures works fine (eg, "Bewegt"); this may or may not be a bug and
> > I've asked Han-Wen so we'll see what he thinks.
>
> After looking again with a clear head, I suspect that the problem is
>
>         (after-line-breaking . ,shift-right-at-line-begin)
>
> I'm not sure what the original intention of this patch was, but I think
> it deserves to go. Where do rehearsal marks normally go when they are at
> the start of the line?

This question stumped me: leafing through different scores seemed to
show a more-or-less arbitrary preference for the (horizontal)
positioning of system-initial rehearsals, frequently somewhere after
the clef but not clearly aligned with anything in particular. So I
asked the good people on SCORE mailing list and, in fact, the answers
that are coming back all say "every editor has a different opinion".
So hmph.

One important point: I personally want to align marks exactly with
time signatures for the (rather limited) purpose of aligning initial
*tempo* indications exactly with the initial time signature (rather
than aligning a true, boxed *rehearsal mark* with the initial time
signature). I was trying to get at this with the indications "Zart"
and "Bewegt" in the ex, but I'm afraid I wasn't clear.

(It seems like that question -- "how do I get initial tempo indication
and initial time signature to left-align?" -- comes up quite
frequently on the list. Whereas, by comparison, I think Liang is the
first person I've noticed ask about aligning true, boxed rehearsals
... though, of course, I might not have been reading the posts
carefully enough!)

--
Trevor Bača