Re: Vocal Lyric Placement?

From: Ian Hawthorn
Subject: Re: Vocal Lyric Placement?
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 11:06:25 +1300

The same problem arises frequently when typesetting barbershop
music only worse because for most of the piece all four parts sing
the same lyric, but there may be a couple of bars when all lyrics
are different and so four lyric lines are required. No truly satisfactory
solution has yet been proposed that I am aware of, although myself and
others have sought assistance with this issue here several times.

Yes Lilypond CAN handle this type of thing, and no doubt some others
will point you at appropriate parts of the documentation that seem to
indicate how this might be done. The killer problem for me however
is that there seems to be no completely satisfactory way to do this
within the confines of something like the SATB template.

If you introduce a mostly blank lyric line for the split lyric section in
the template, you have the tedium of entering a lot of blanks or spaces;
but worse than that, lilypond will allow vertical space for it throughout
the entire piece (even where blank),  which throws the vertical spacing
completely out of whack everywhere and is visually annoying. The only
way to stop lilypond doing this would seem to involve changing how the
staves are stacked for just those few bars only so that the blank lyric line
is simply not present elsewhere. But this completely breaks any hope of
using a template and looks awfully tricky to do as well.

I can tell you that what you are asking is a hard problem, so don't get your
hopes up that there is an easy answer. Abandoning the use of a template
for me this would be a major change to the way I use lilypond and I'd need
to gain a lot deeper understanding of it than I currently have. At the moment I am simply typing extra lyric lines consisting mostly of blanks and stewing
over the annoying extra vertical space in the output.

Best Wishes
Ian H

Hello,

I discovered lilypond not too long ago and it really is excellent.  To any
developers out there, keep up the good work!

However, I have a problem that has me stumped.  I searched through the
documentation and the mailing list archives, with no luck.

First, I am using version 2.6.4 (I see that 2.6.5 is out, but I don't know
if that has any bearing on my issue).

I am working on a SATB vocal piece, where I would like soprano lyrics
above the treble clef in only a couple of measures, as the lyrics deviate
from the rest of the ensemble.

I can create an extra soprano part with notes and lyrics, and then combine
that part with the regular soprano and alto parts, but I was wondering if
there was some way I could redirect lyric placement above the staff with
an override.  Or is there a better way I should approach this issue?  I'd
rather not print all the soprano lyrics above the staff, because they are
the same for almost the entire piece, except for 4 measures.

Any advice?

Jeremy