Re: Roadmap to lily code

From: Pedro Kröger
Subject: Re: Roadmap to lily code
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:00:53 -0200

dax2 <address@hidden> writes:

> how did you learn Lisp?

1. reading books like SICP [1], PCL [2], PAIP [3], ANSI Common Lisp [4]
   and others

2. reading articles like Paul Graham's to "get" the language

3. writing code

4. reading other people code

5. asking questions (e.g. on comp.lang.lisp)

> I guess you weren't interested in string-handling? Or is there a
> CommonLisp "substring" function?

of course it is (subseq). you may want to check this link [5]. if you
need something more powerful there is a regular expression package as
well [6]

> How do you "think" (invent, construct) control-flow if Scheme (and
> Lisp?) uses only tail-recursion as a flow-control mechanism?

you have to keep in mind that while the scheme standard is very small,
many implementations have more stuff built-in.

OTOH, Common Lisp is a very big language with all sorts of control
mechanisms like dolist, do, dotimes, loop, and much more [7]. a very
flexible condition system (other languages have only "Exception
Handling") and a very powerful object system. All defined in the ANSI
standard. Check the standard and see for yourself [8] :-)

> /Thanks in advance from Donald

You're welcome

Cheers,

Pedro Kröger