Re: coda placement problem

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: coda placement problem
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:24 +0100

Kenneth Teh wrote:

I'm having trouble placing the coda symbol.  The
closest I've come to what I want is reproduced below.

        g2 c,2 | \mark \markup { \small \musicglyph
#"scripts.coda" }  % mark jump point
        r8 g'8 af8[ g8] ef4 d4 |
        c1~ |
        c1
        \once \override Score.RehearsalMark
                #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
        \once \override Score.RehearsalMark
#'self-alignment-X = #right
        \mark \markup { \small { "D.S. al Coda" } }
        \break

% coda
        %\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'extra-offset =
#'(-3.0 . 3.0)
        r8^\markup { \raise #3.0 {\huge { \musicglyph
#"scripts.coda" } } }
        g'8 af8[ g8] ef4 d4 |
        r8 g8 af8[ g8] ef4 d4 |
        r8 g8 af8[ g8] ef4 d4 |

which I gleaned from reading your archives.  The
problem is that the \raise does not produce an effect.
See
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/lilypond/Text-markup.html#Text-markup
The recommend solution is to increase the padding property, see also
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/lilypond/Common-tweaks.html#Common-tweaks

 If I rewrite the first 2 lines of the coda section
as

        \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'extra-offset =
#'(-3.0 . 3.0)
        r8 \mark \markup { \huge { \musicglyph
#"scripts.coda" } }

then, the "D.S. al Coda" string in the previous bar is
affected, not the coda symbol.
Correct, that's what the \once means, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/lilypond/Layout-tunings-within-contexts.html#Layout-tunings-within-contexts

I've also tried attaching the "huge coda" to the bar
line, but this wipes out the "D.S. al Coda" string. I've read you cannot stack 2 rehearsal marks.
If you want to do that, combine them into a single text markup using
\column or \center-align, see the section on Text markup reference
above.

I prefer the rehearsal mark to a straight text markup
because I am scoring something for multiple
instruments.  I write the same rehearsal mark for each
instrument so that when I generate the parts, the
codas are reproduced for each part, but in the combo
score, I see only 1 coda.

A final comment:  Note that I add a break just before
the coda.  This is because I want the coda section to
start on a new line.  There is a small coda in an
earlier bar to mark the "jump" point.  What would
really be nice is to put the "huge coda" right above
the clef at the beginning of the line so that the coda
section is clearly marked.
If you insert the \mark right next to the \break, it will be printed
at the the beginning of the line, at least if you don't fiddle with the
break-visibility property. In version 2.6, it will not be placed exactly
above the clef, but in the latest development version, there is a new
feature that lets you specify if it should be attached to the clef or the
time signature or whatever.

  /Mats