RE: Lyric word spanning two notes

From: Linda Cantoni
Subject: RE: Lyric word spanning two notes
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 05:28:58 -0500

Hi Stephen -

I don't know what version you're using, but in 2.6.4 (and probably in other
versions, I'm not sure) you can use the \melisma command in the music to
stretch a syllable over several notes.

Here's an example of something I transcribed a while back from a choral work
(in Lilypond v. 2.6.4):

altoMusic = \relative c' {
  d8 d8 d8 d8 d4. cs8 cs'1 \melisma cs1 cs2 \melismaEnd cs2
}

altoWords = \lyricmode {
  In der un -- ge -- heu -- 'ren Wei -- te.
}

In the above, the syllable "Wei" is stretched over two whole notes and a
half note.  (Note that the \melisma command is inserted after the first note
where you want the melimsa to begin.)  For more info on the \melisma
command, see the manual for version 2.6, section 7.3.4.

Hope this helps,

Linda Cantoni