Re: 2 questions concerning skips and dynamics

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: 2 questions concerning skips and dynamics
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:47:09 +0100

The duration of the skips is handled exactly as the duration of ordinary
notes. If you insert some bar checks, you will see that the durations
are probably not what you want:

dynamics = {
s\mf s4. | \setTextCresc s\< | s2 | s4\f s\> s4\!
}

Since the last duration specified above the dynamics is the d'8, the duration
of the first s is also an 8th note.

You should note that the full template is a fairly ugly hack. There
have been several discussions on the mailing list proposing different
additional tweaks and modifications. I have also proposed a completely
different approach to solve the problem, see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2005-08/msg00130.html

  /Mats

Thomas Ruedas wrote:

Hi,
I came back to my attempts with the staff-centered dynamics in a piano score, and while the example I was pointed to in an earlier thread essentially works, I am still confused about two issues which I don't understand from the docs either. A test example (v.2.6.3) is at the bottom. - How do skips really work, especially in connection with a dynamics-only system? In normal staves with proper notes they used to work as I expected, but not in the dynamics-only staff. For instance, I found some example with an expression like s\f , which is apparently necessary to make the \f work; but how "wide" is the s? In my test case, it seems to have neither width 0 nor the width of the last nonzero skip.
Or take the first expressions in the test case,
s\mf s4. \setTextCresc s\<
Does the first s have zero width here? And why do I have to put s4. to get the cresc. at the beginning of the next bar? Is the \mf assigned a width? I also replaced the s by \skip where possible, but the results were the same. The intended result of the test case is:
mf at the beginning
cresc. from bar 2, 1st eighth to b.3, 3rd eighth
f at b.3, 3rd eighth
decresc. directly after it for a period of one quarter
- The other question: in my test case, I can adjust the vertical position of dynamics text like mf or f and of the hairpins, but the text-version cresc. is too low. How do I adjust that?
I hope someone can help me out of this confusion.
Thomas

\version "2.6.3"

i = \context Staff {
       \context Voice = "i"
       \voiceOne
\clef treble \time 2/4 \repeat unfold 5 { d'8 fis' e' cis' }
}

dynamics = {
s\mf s4. \setTextCresc s\< s2 s4\f s\> s4\!
}

iii = \context Staff {
       \context Voice = "iii"
       \voiceTwo
\clef bass \time 2/4 \repeat unfold 5 { d4 a }
}

    \score {
      \context PianoStaff <<
        \context Staff = "upper" << \i >>
        \context Dynamics = dynamics \dynamics
        \context Staff= "lower" << \iii >>

      \layout {
        \context {
          \type "Engraver_group_engraver"
          \name Dynamics
          \alias Voice % So that \cresc works, for example.
          \consists "Output_property_engraver"

          \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-1 . 1)

          \consists "Script_engraver"
          \consists "Dynamic_engraver"
          \consists "Text_engraver"

          \override TextScript #'font-size = #2
          \override TextScript #'font-shape = #'italic
          \override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)
          \override Hairpin #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 1.5)

          \consists "Skip_event_swallow_translator"

          \consists "Axis_group_engraver"
        }
        \context {
          \PianoStaff
          \accepts Dynamics
          \override VerticalAlignment #'forced-distance = #7

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology