Re: "Umlaute" in \header

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: "Umlaute" in \header
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:27:39 +0100

It's certainly no surprise that your "problems" started when you changed
from 2.4 to 2.6, since in version 2.4 you could only use latin1 encoding
(or plain ASCII), which means that LilyPond could only handle western
European text, whereas in verson 2.6 you can "only" use UTF-8 encoding,
which means that LilyPond can handle almost any language in the world.

Maybe you have some setting in your .emacs file that prevents the
multi-language support (MULE) to work correctly. For example, in my
.emacs, I had a setting
(setq-default enable-multibyte-characters nil)
which prevented MULE from working correctly. Uncommenting that
line solved the problem. An easy way to see if your .emacs is a problem
is to run Emacs using 'emacs -q myfile.ly'.
If you add the following lines to the end of your file, then Emacs will
automatically use the correct UTF-8 encoding:
%%% Local variables:
%%% coding: utf-8
%%% End:

  /Mats

Wolfgang Mechsner wrote:

Indeed I use emacs in Linux. But it is very strange:

1. It worked always fine with Lilypond 2.4.6 and the following versions. Now I have 2.6.4.3. and the problem started.

2. And: it does not work with jedit!

I love Lilypond but each upgrade serves a new surprise :-)

Thank you, Wolfgang

PS: Mats, sorry about this email to you without the list address!