Re: "Controlled aleatorism" notation

From: Andrzej Kopec
Subject: Re: "Controlled aleatorism" notation
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:54:29 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys writes:

 > >     //         \\
 > > ----||--|-------||                    |-----
 > > ----||.-|---|--.||                    |-----
 > > ----||.-|---|--.||~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|-----
 > > ----||--o---|---||                    |-----
 > > ----||------o---||                    |-----
 > >     \\         //
 > >
 > > 1. is there any more suitable grob for this purpose?
 >
 > for what? Brackets or the wavy line?

Sorry for lack of clearness. I meant brackets. I was looking for some graphical
object
which can be aligned to edges of StaffSymbol independently to duration of
current
note/rest/space. Rest seems to shift slightly to left if previous note-duration
is
longer. some non-rhythmical object would suit here better, i think.

Of course - all these things can be done with extra-offset for every grob. But
I want to
avoid that.

 > > 2. Is there any way to typeset spanner exactly from one place to another,
 > > in manner that
 > >    it starts at \stopStaff and stops at \startStaff ?
 >
 > why don't you change the number of stafflines to 1 and start a new
 > staff?

Sounds reasonable

 > Another option is to override the stencil callback for StaffSymbol.

this too

 > If you have problems with this, I can cook up a sponsored aleatoric
 > example .ly , but I guess there will be lots of people eager to
 > demonstrate their elite L1l33P0nd ski11z :)

They are my only hope. PEOPLE WITH ELITE LILY-SKILZ, where are you!!??! ;)

TB:
 > At least in the US, the popularity was due, IMO, to the fact that this
 > sort of thing can get you (at least the appearance of) some rhythmic
 > complexity without having to scatter a bunch of tuplets everywhere.

I would rather think of it as a coloristic effect than rhythmic complexity. On
the other
hand why to write lots of (strange) tuplets which would be performed
approximately? and on the other
other hand - very few people "unfold" trills... :)

And at last: I believe this is available in lilypond?

Thanks for response,
Regards,
/ak/