Re: using footnotes on lyrics with lilypond-book

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: using footnotes on lyrics with lilypond-book
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 02:29:18 +0100

At Fri, 03 Jun 2005 07:55:41 -0400,
Laura Conrad <address@hidden> wrote:

>     HN> it's doable to add footnote support to the output engine, however, I
>     HN> haven't planned anything, so I consider this a sponsored feature.
>
> I did a little bit of searching for a Unicode character that would be
> a superscript one, and didn't find it, but that was the way I thought
> of doing it.  In other words, the way the © is done now.  I don't
> think it looks as good as the TeX \copyright character, but it works.
>
> Then of course, lilypond-book would still put the \footnotetext
> command in after the \lilypondfile.

Thank you Laura.  I had a look, and found the following characters:

Superscript numbers:

SUPERSCRIPT ZERO  0x2070
SUPERSCRIPT ONE   0x00B9
SUPERSCRIPT TWO   0x00B2
SUPERSCRIPT THREE 0x00B3
SUPERSCRIPT FOUR  0x2074
SUPERSCRIPT FIVE  0x2075
SUPERSCRIPT SIX   0x2076
SUPERSCRIPT SEVEN 0x2077
SUPERSCRIPT EIGHT 0x2078
SUPERSCRIPT NINE  0x2079

And if, like me, you use footnote symbols:

ASTERISK          0x002A
DAGGER            0x2020
DOUBLE DAGGER     0x2021
SECTION SIGN      0x00A7
PARAGRAPH SIGN    0x00B6
(here comes a sign I don't even know the name of)
(then come two asterisks, two daggers, two double daggers, and that's it)
(luckily, I only need four footnotes on one page :)

Now, there are two problems: Only the superscripted numbers 1-3 seem
to work; this may be a font problem, which means that you need a long
beard and a funny hat to fix it.  The other problem is that the
symbolic footnotes will be normally sized, while TeX likes to
superscript them.  OTOH, the normally sized ones are "more authentic",
at least they match my 1867 original.

Have fun,
Marcus