Re: Adjusting slurs and brackets

From: Heimdall Midgard
Subject: Re: Adjusting slurs and brackets
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:51:09 +0800

2005/12/19, Gilles <address@hidden>:
> Hi.
>
> [You didn't specify which version of LilyPond you use.]

I'm using 2.6.3 (I'd already pressed send when I realized
my grievous omission).

> > So, could someone please give me a code snippet on how
> > to raise or lower the vertical placement of a slur
> > relative to the notes (or if possible, relative to the
> > fingering, which it collides with).
>
> You can try playing with:
>
>   \override Score.Slur #'height-limit = #4.5
>
> or/and
>
>   \override Script #'padding = #1.5

Neither appears to work, at least the way I used it in the
following code fragment (I hope I didn't omit anything
essential). I used deliberately small and large values to
exagerrate any side-effect the overrides might have (none).

upper = \relative c' {
  \time 4/4
  \key c \major
  \clef treble
  \override Score.SeparationItem #'padding = #1.0
  \override Score.Slur #'height-limit = #-20
  \override Script #'padding = #100.5
  \phrasingSlurUp
  c4-1\( d-2 e-3 f-4
  g4-5 e4-3 c2-1\)

[Etc]

> > Also, I need to see code on how to adjust the placement
> > and height of the curly bracket at the left of, say, a
> > piano score. I need to know the following:
> >
> > (a) How to move the bracket so it doesn't collide with
> > the instrument name. Or vice versa: how to move the
> > instrument name so it doesn't collide with the
> > bracket. In ascii art the problem appears like this:
> >
> > pia{no
>
> I think that this is a bug (at least in 2.6.3 which I use)
> due to the brace being too big. I've read it's solved in
> later versions.
>
> > I want it to appear with generous spacing like this:
> >
> > piano   {
> >

> In 2.4.5, you could add litteral space characters after
> the instrument name:
>
>   \set Staff.instrument = "Piano    "
>
> But this doesn't work anymore (in 2.6.3).  So I have to do
> this:
>
>   \set Staff.instrument = \markup{ "Piano" \hspace #2 }

This works.

> > (b) How to reduce the height of the bracket so it
> > doesn't collide with the bar (measure) number at the top
> > left of the treble staff.
> >

> This was a problem in 2.4.5, but in 2.6.3, I don't need
> any tweaking for the bar number not to collide with the
> brace.

It's still a problem for me. But I now see it too is related
to the bug you mentioned ("brace being too big").

--
Albert Einstein: Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn
Wissen ist begrenzt.